Started late last year a Faema President one group.
A few problems, the group is one of those high-volume groups of which there are no more seals, and not recommended for the quality of the coffee they produce.
Furthermore the head of the group is broken, once more…
I will replace the entire group. Another important thing missing … the complete steam valve, I had an idea to replace it.
Short tour of the machine before start the restore:
Powder coating main frame :
Aluminums are repolished by me, and I entrust the elements of the frame to re-chroming a professional collaborator.
The valve will consist of a water inlet valve e61 which I added an elbow and group handle (e61 too) modified and polished.
Only remain for me to remanufacture steam wand.
I replaced group and its top halve is brand new :
Still work, the heating system, find a way to fix nicely the new rear glass was missing. Filling the boiler, control seals. Cleaning polishing the body, plexiglass etc. … I’ll talk.
One last thing that I am always the same effect when I open a Faema, the boiler plate with “data” not specified … Can not know exactly when it was made.
Recently acquired, a splendid Gaggia Internazionale.
Installed for some time on the coffee forum Expresso, forum specialized in all specialties and materials for coffee. I decided to present the restoration there. I expect you with pleasure to share this good moment.
A friend has his Unic Min for sale ! It was restored in the state of the art. The main frame is powder coated, all the gaskets are new. The thermostat is the famous bulb Landis & Gyr.
Found by Vincent, bought and shipped for me by Gábor, here is a beauty that smells good friendship, thank you to both!
Gábor explained the origin of Keripar meaning “KEReskedelmi és vendéglatoIPARi“ in Hungarian, or simply “Trade and Restoration”.
Filling the boiler with a hole at the top and using the funnel supplied by the manufacturer !!!
A most of simple steam wand
But a group mechanism with locking down position with a beautiful design, beautiful production and beautiful materials. Seems to me more reliable and safer than locking mechanism of Gaggia lever groups.
An amazing design, under outdated body, and very particular aesthetic of the communist era, hide a heavy steel frame poor quality hand welded. But also a very nice copper boiler, a massive connection of the group and this group also, beautiful workmanship.
Electric heating, a good quality grade pressure-stat. A safety thermostat too, serious design, mostly high grade.
Simple discovery for the moment, but a pleasure nonetheless. I tried to start it but it leaks everywhere … I‘ll talk when I start its restoration.
A new year is beginning, and soon a few restorations too, but before I wanted to wish you an
Happy new year 2014
Polishing completed :
Found a friend to play, a gift ! Thanks David ! 😉
A few days ago I receive an email from a friend who tells “quick Pascal, it is there not far, and for you !”
One clic on the web-link and this is what I discover, I fall in love immediately !
I will have to polish it but I already find it so beautiful !…
Fully reassembled, this is a really very very beautiful machine. Needs no words to describe so then up the pictures !
Aesthetic restoration of the element, it won’t heat anything anymore but it was interesting to understand how it worked.
I must confess that I don’t understand everything … of what I see electricity is taken directly to the heating plates, and plunging rods are electrically isolated from the lid of the boiler with porcelain rings and stacks of mica washers. But nothing else, it means that water is at electric potential … Or while there was an insulator but I can not find any trace?
I thought it could be interesting to take some pictures of an assembly without dressing her up the old lady. Hoping she will forgive me the following:
The bottom, the basins and depressurization of groups grouped together in the same brass manifold. In the middle the arrival of water filling the boiler.
Some details :
Water intake for prebrewing, pipe in the steam for the infusion, and depressurizing at the end of extraction.
I bought this one a few months ago. The group had been very damaged by a previous owner. So before going home waiting to be completely redone I fully sanded and polished and made rechrome.
One lent to me now an original tool from Faema to remove the sleeve of the group. So I did, cleaned and reassemble.
I snapped on this machine for its architecture. A group of Mercurio with a horizontal boiler is all new to me. And this coupling of the group to the boiler is so awesome …
I won’t restore it now, I have to finish restoration of the Zenith Express and then to work on Mercurio. I had this weekend to remove asbestos, treat rust to stop etc… And in momentum I thought it would be a good idea remove old screws before time makes things worse…
🙂 One is right… still a lot of work…
But now at home and I love it 🙂
A little shot just before removing Mercurio.